Welcome to Colorado Birding Adventures. We specialize in day-long birding trips to three destinations in north-central Colorado: Rocky Mountain National Park, Pawnee National Grasslands, or Boulder County Foothills.
The dramatic changes in elevation in Colorado create an equally dramatic variation in habitat and bird species. From the Pawnee National Grasslands to Rocky Mountain National Park is only 75 miles but there is a 7,000 foot difference in altitude. As a result, there are five major life zones that can be explored and each area has a different variety of birds.
How It Works
- You can book one day, two days, or three days to visit all of our destinations.
- Our daily fee for one to three birders is $525 which includes using our vehicle from our stating point, lunch, and park entry fee.
- We don’t have a set schedule of tours and we will work with you to find a mutually convenient date or dates.
- Use our contact form to tell us about your interests and desired date and we’ll let you know our availability and answer any questions.
- Depending on which destination you choose, our starting points are conveniently located in either Longmont (45 minutes from either Denver or the Denver Airport) or in Estes Park (for trips to Rocky Mountain NP.)
- Our typical full-day birding adventure is about 9 hours from pickup to drop-off and includes a mix of driving and short hikes depending on your preferences.
- Payment can be either made in advance by credit card (we will email you and invoice) or at the conclusion of our day (by cash, check, or Venmo.)
Our Tour Options
3 Great Destinations – Experience one, two, or all three!
Rocky Mountain National Park
Birding Colorado by Hugh Kingery says it this way: “The premier mountain bird-watching place in Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park has fine examples of every mountain habitat in Colorado…Superb scenery, excellent facilities, and lots of birds make Rocky a prime destination. Easy access to each habitat and its complement of breeding species lends enchantment to a visit. You can see mountain birds in RMNP from your car and on short or long hikes.”
More info on birding in Rocky Mountain National Park here.
Most birders come to the Pawnee Grasslands to find the resident breeding species including Ferruginous and Swainson’s Hawks, Golden Eagle, Prairie Falcon, Burrowing Owl, Mountain Plover, Say’s Phoebe, Rock Wren, Lark Bunting, Thick-billed and Chestnut-collared Longspur, and Brewer’s and Cassin’s Sparrows. Pawnee National Grasslands can be visited any time of year but the best birding is when the summer resident birds are active from April through August.
More info on visiting Pawnee National Grasslands here.
Northern Colorado Foothills
Colorado’s Front Range includes the fascinating Rocky Mountain Foothills where the vast eastern prairies transition to the mountains. We’ll explore a variety of canyons, streams, reservoirs, and more. Birding is excellent year-round with a changing mix of species throughout the seasons.
Colorado Birding Adventures focuses on providing a comfortable and enjoyable birding experience for birders of any level. Colorado’s scenery AND bird life are equally spectacular and our friendly, relaxed, and knowledgeable approach to field trips will make your birding adventure productive and memorable. We pride ourselves on our commitment to professionalism, attention to detail, and prompt communications.
Carl Bendorf is owner and a principal guide for Colorado Birding Adventures. Carl is an experienced birding guide, past president of the Iowa Ornithologists’ Union, and recently completed a third term on the American Birding Association Board of Directors. He has served as a guide for Birdwatcher’s Digest and the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival. In 2011, Carl founded Iowa Young Birders and served as Executive Director until 2015 and remains a member of the board. Carl shared his passion for encouraging new birders in Iowa Young Birders: Story of a Startup, published by the American Birding Association. Carl and his wife Linda (Director of Blue Sage Writing) live in Longmont, CO.
Click anywhere below to browse through our high-resolution images from previous tours. All photos by Carl J. Bendorf.